Week in review

Three hustings and a radio piece since the start is not exactly representative, but is enough for a brief revue.

The radio piece was today , alongside Deputy Gorst and Mr Farnham. With three of us in the studio rather than two that has happened for the  other senator election call programmes , there was less time for questions and it was harder to get any sort of interchange between the participants.  I did not feel I was on good form, though I don't recall making any gaffs. Questions ranged from population and economic growth to dog mess and fly tipping. Asked which sitting States members we would vote for  Chief Minister I opted for Bob Hill. There was a question about a secret party  in the house. Both  Deputy Gorst and Mr Farnham denied it existed.  My 9 year old heard the programe  on the radio and when I got home was very keen to tell me that if it was secret they either would not know, or were in it and would have to keep silent to keep it secret. Good logic my boy.

It is of course very difficult to judge how the campaign is going when you are involved, and your supporters are of course far from impartial. I have had people I do not know approach me at the bus stop and in town to tell me they are voting for me.  I have had a couple of people who were at hustings to support one of the 'establishment' candidates come and tell me they liked my speech and were likely to give me one of their 4 votes.  Feedback from various sources seems to be consistent - my performance has been better than was expected.

It seems the election is more open than was anticipated by many.  The battle for fourth place is close: it may well come down to who makes a mistake during the rest of the campaign.  My interpretation of things so far:

Mr Bailhche speaks clearly and is picking on topics that resonate with his natural supporters.  But I sense he is making no impact outside of that. Will do well , but I would be surprised if he topped the poll.

Stuart Syvret is a natural orator and it comes across on  the platform. He touches a nerve with his anti-corruption stance, and while being forceful also keeps his composure. 

Mr Cohen seems to be struggling. He makes great effort to point out Portelet was not his fault. But he has not yet rid himself of that millstone. He also pulled a rabbit out of the hat with his fully funded further/higher education promise. I have still heard neither how much that will cost nor where the money is to come from.

Mrs Corby is improving in presentation with each husting. Clearly the leftist of the candidates who rather fills the gap  left by the JDA.

Darius Pearce is something of a libertarian. He is standing primarily on a platform of constitutional/states reform. He is the antithesis of Mr Bailhache's authoritarian reform campaign.

Mr Farnham's campaign re removal of senators ought to be doing him more good than it is. In part that is because it is overshadowed by Mr Bailhache's stance. He is also very defensive taking pains to point out his very high attendance record in the States when he was last there. Other than that his campaign comes across as rather one dimensional. he needs to add some  breadth to his platform if he is to make progress.

Francis Le Gresley is a contender to top the poll.  He is measured in his performance and has a number of small victories to recount from his short time in the States. Not a man to bring about radical change, but will be consistent in modifying and improving the laws and proposal that come to the States.

Mr Gorst is speaking well  and as a Minister has a number of things he can claim credit for. He is a declared candidate to be Chief Minister if elected Senator. I am unclear what it is he would do if elected that is different from the current policy. He might find it harder going if pensions and the long term care package details make it to the fore.


I have heard from the printers that all is going well, and I have succumbed to the campaign request for posters. They should be ready by the end of the week.




No comments: